Thursday, June 12, 2014

Memories of Dad Paint Party Friday

 Paint Party Friday
Art Journal Journey
 I missed you all last week still recovering from the flu. I went down hard and I am so grateful to be on the mend... still slow going and catching up on sleep but so glad to be a lot better... wow that was harsh!  
Walking the dog!
Special occasions can be so difficult for some people.  So many young people today have daddy issues... whether big or small I am reminded how fortunate I was to have a daddy who loved me to bits. Who would go to the ends of the earth for me, who gave wise advice, who I trusted implicitly and always felt safe with. 
 
Mix it Monthly "Home"

Was he perfect? NO....but boy he taught me a lot, showed me how to have fun without money, how to ride a bike, roller skate, swim, golf, play baseball, crib and bridge! We could chat for hours, always  proud of him I kissed him on the lips until the day he died! I loved my dad so much!
I am in many ways my fathers legacy! He was kind and fair! He loved and enjoyed conversations with women of all ages and was excepting of everyone. He sat with the shunned gay man at work during lunch, listening to his sad stories! Relaying those stories taught us acceptance at a very young age!


 To dad, a house was a house,  a car was a car it never had to be the best, just nice.....he highly  appreciated everything he had,  including my mother who could be a  chronic nag at times. However to give mom her due, she was always doing, cooking, cleaning, reading,working or playing...she was probably always tired!
 Saying prayers done in Mindy Lacefields  free class
 As Fathers day approaches feelings of abandonment bubble up for many kids! Others feel misunderstood, lied to, second place in step families, judged, and shunned because of different religious beliefs or lifestyles. Some children wrestle with parental mental illness or addiction!  I feel sad for them. I realize now I was one of the lucky ones!  My father had alcohol issues that escalated in his later years and at times   wreaked havoc on the family. 


However for the the most part he was a really wonderful dad who tucked me in at night, read me stories, built me a playhouse and listened to me when I felt forlorn. He set a great foundation for security in my world! My dad really understood me!! He's been gone 28 years but all the lovely memories are cemented in forever!
I remember that night well! After mom had criticized me, dad was 
kindly explaining why my mom was the way she was!


Did you feel understood by your dad? 

47 comments:

  1. Hi Giggles. What a lovely post and wonderful art work to go with it. That's a great picture of you and your dad. I'm happy for you in that you had a loving relationship with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your painting, and it's renditions. What a lovely tribute to your Dad. I'm not sure I'm understood by my Dad, but I know that he loves me the best that he can. And that is enough.
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me well up inside, after losing my dad a few years back your recount of what you and your dad shared brought back so many happy memories. A wonderful tribute sherrie. Glad you are on the mend. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were fortunate to have such a good Dad! Glad you are feeling better, take care! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your paintings.
    Dads are special. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly were very lucky!
    Both myself and my husband had fathers who were basically not there.
    It makes me especially happy for our two children that my hubby is such a wonderful dad. Through his own experiences growing up, he learnt what *not* to do.

    I love your girls, you're really progressing with your faces :)
    Hugs, jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, this is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your paintings, the girl walking the dog with her hair in bunches (that's what we call them here) dog and lady maybe not wanting to go in the same direction!) and your lady with the heart and her marvellous frizzy hair and your third lady saying her prayers so thoughtfully. And I really like the way you change the colours placing different emphasis on different parts of the painting.
    As for your theme today, fathers, I think it will touch a chord with all of us, one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a beautiful post, both art and words. Yes, my dad always supported me and many times when my mum didn't. I have wonderful memories too.
    Otherwise, let me thank you for your lovely comment and advice two weeks ago, I really appreciated it. I might even take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and heart warming post and art. I am glad that you recovered from flu and thank you so much for sharing those beautiful memories full of endless love to your Dad!

    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed you last week! Glad you're feeling better!
    Your dad sounds like a wonderful father. He looks so sweet too.... My friends were all jealous of me because of my dad. He always did crazy stuff with us kids, he understood kids like no one else I've ever met. Even though he's been dead almost 10 years, there are so many things that remind me of him and things he did and said. He is the only one in the family that painted. Guess I got that from him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too had a great dad and miss him a lot. I know what you are saying about your dad. Love your people. The heart card lady is great. She makes me smile Glad you are starting to feel better. Keep resting so you're totally back on your feet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really missed you last week my friend! Sorry to hear you had the dreaded flu but glad you're finally on the mend. This is a lovely post in memory of your father. I love the photos. Your prayer girl is gorgeous-I love her, along with your other art projects here-including the pink pooch:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing such a touching part of your life and speaking about fathers, whose importance is sometimes overlooked. I especially like the fact that your post is so sincere. I believe many dads like me do our best, but there's no such thing as television's "Father Knows Best." My father loved me dearly too and I have some very fond memories of our relationship. Unfortunately, he had a very demanding job and missed out on some of my life's events. By the way, I LOVE your family photographs and can see whom your daughter Cupcake got her good looks from. May you have a blessed weekend and the Lord keep your father's soul in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a touching post, your words are always so good to read I love how finish with how your memories of him are cemented in you forever. It's so great to have those cherished memories of loved ones, they are still a part of us, a beautiful post! Sorry to hear you had the flu, take care and keep well now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful tribute to your dad! My mom was the rock in our family but my dad was always there, we need our dads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Giggles you are so blessed to have all those special memories of your dad. Your art shows how much you love him still.
    Hope you are feeling even better today.
    Happy weekend to you
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super art and such a wonderful post to read. I always enjoy coming here. Your Dad sounds like a good one. Mine is too. We're both lucky :)

    Glad to hear you're over your flu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so good that you have such wonderful memories of your father and have shared how you felt here. Love your paintings in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, Sherrie. My dad was a kid until the day he died, and he loved to play ball with us. He taught us to swim. He was a shrewd and capable manager of his business in his later years, providing well, at last, for my mother in her last years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad that you are feeling better!!! Those nasty bugs can really throw you for a loop and then some. Very nice picture of you and your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

    My dad and I had a terrible relationship and were estranged for many years. I love hearing about the good ones like yours. You're very lucky to have had him to guide you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice art and photos, have a wonderful weekend

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a warm wonderful tribute to your dad! I enjoyed reading this !

    My dads are still alive - both of them are more than older brothers to me as dads..
    I love them both - my real father is wonderful and my stepfather since over 40 years is most wonderful ... I am blessed with my family!

    Happy weekend.. you made me happy with your paintings here and always with the RGB different color choices... like this very much!
    What about linking this post ( because of the "houses" here) to

    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE

    I would be so happy to welcome you there!
    ♥♥♥
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice to hear your fond memories of your Dad. Glad you are feeling better. Great paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice and adorable couple girls. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice and adorable couple girls. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  28. Honest and warm tribute to your father, along with some wonderful art. You are indeed, very lucky to have had such a relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry you had the flu - it's awful! Glad you're feeling better. It's wonderful to have those memories of your father - so many children have not such great dads. Love your little girl photo (you were a cutie) and your little girl painting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely paintings and thank you for sharing your beautiful (and honest) memories of your dad.
    blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a beautiful post and the art is gorgeous. Love the photo of you and your dad.
    Von.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the paintings Giggles.Your Dad sounds a lovely man I am lucky I still have mine around and I love him loads.

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I missed you last week Sherrie. Hope you are feeling much better now. This is such a wonderful post. Even after 28 years I can see how much you miss him. Nowadays it's so difficult for many children to live in a secure and peaceful family atmosphere. I guess we were so lucky to get that in our childhood days.
    Love your paintings. I too am doing Sunday Mornings.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awwww I so entjoyed reading about your lovely dad!! I too had the best dad in the world, always caring for his loved ones, always a smile on his face and funny and kind words on his lips! I will love him till the end of the world ;) Love your lil paintings, especcially the one with the heart, because its where the home is :) thank you for doing such a lovely entry for Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful post and art. I miss Dad a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So beautiful, what a wonderful tribute to your dad..he is a sweet soul..thanks for sharing...gorgeous art...shine on!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ughhh for the flu!:-/ The pictures with your dad are precious... I especially love the first one...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous2:09 am

    A beautiful and loving tribute to your Dad with caring paintings and photos.

    Hope your flu stays away!!!

    I've always been dad's girl, still am. He's 82 now, still not going strong but anyway going. Love him much.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely paintings and colour changes, and I love that pink dog. And a very thoughtful post that will touch the heart of many - in one way or another.
    So glad you are recovering daily, even if it is a bit slow, and hope you will be back to health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your whimsical paintings; beautiful commentary on your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are so lucky to have had such a lovely dad you loved you to bits. What a beautiful post. I bet he is looking down on you from heaven. I really didn't have any relationship with my dad and that is sad but life goes on! Happy PPF Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. There is something in your colorful artwork that is so rejuvenating! i am loving each and every one of them!

    Love and hugs,
    Ankush.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wonderful painting and thoughts in remembering your Dad, dear Happy! So glad to read, you are doing better.
    Love and hugs
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  44. A delightful tribute to your dad!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am so sorry you are ill. I did miss you last week. This is a beautiful tribute to your dad. The art work, the story. . . .Many Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  46. That was a lovely and moving post about your dad. <3

    I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wonderful tribute to your dad. I love hearing family stories. :) Gorgeous paintings as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I respect your opinions!!! All Comments are genuinely appreciated!