Thursday, November 27, 2014

Layers with A Burst of Joy paint party friday

Paint Party Friday

" A Burst of Joy" finally finished!
Inspired by one of my favorite older paintings here!

I have a large ugly upright piano that's been with me 50 years. I  have always wanted to paint  it! Beardo insists that I don't touch the beloved rosewood melody maker he has now claimed. Instead he brought me this tiny piano to revamp for Charity. Beardo has been complimenting me daily on my paint job! He tells me he loves it!
It's being included in an  auction  for the  music therapy program at Childrens Hospital  that he's facilitating at work! 
Before version of the Tiny working "Shelf Piano" for a charity auction!
 
I was so nervous to do this project. Especially with such a  high gloss finish to cover up! I fought with it, as paint  chipped off the pre sanded and gessoed piano. So many intricate bits to tape and avoid. I am so grateful for the many many coats of varnish that made  the colour pop and protected the paint ! It is exciting  to be part of the lineup doing these pianos  Hopefully I can blog about the whole display in the next week or so!  
I have made the first bid on my piano!

I'm envious of artists who create thin layered paintings perfectly in one try. But that's not me! I tend to create thick bulky layers! I love searching the strokes of paint for images too. Since I was a child I'd searched patterns in wallpaper, on towels, or sheets, in the clouds, or on a floor, for any different form than was presented!  My eye would study blankly searching for images other than what immediately appeared. Maybe why I was called a daydreamer by many a teacher! Today it's called meditating. Of course school wasn't exactly the best place to zone out practice it! 

   I love the intricate layers of humans in all their frailties, their joy and sorrow.  The layers of experience  that forms how they think and what they believe in!  I like to know the essence of their soul!   It's all so very interesting to me! I have always been one to search beyond what is presented by  human beings too!  
 
 As the pendulum swings from happiness to grief the holidays can be difficult for those suffering loss or illness! What's worked best for me is a diversion from the normal routine. Change it up. Keep the past as a sacred memory, but don't be afraid to change the way you do things!

 When  first divorced I tried painfully to keep things the same so Cupcake  would feel  secure.  Leaving photos as they were, and sticking to a normal routine the best I could until she adjusted. However during the holidays I had to change a few things! While navigating the  emotional chaos of divorce there were a few seasons void of spirit so we focused on giving to others.  It  brought us such joy diverting our own sorrows, while replanting the spirit and filling us up. It has carried on through the years.
The back of the tiny piano
Even when we didn't have  the fiscal means to give monetarily, there were so many other ways to give. Asking others for charitable donation in a non monetary way for a homeless shelter, donating crocheted hats, socks, scarves and time. Gathering up unused coats for the homeless. Baking for a busy single mom or dear friend. Helping a single mom wrap Christmas gifts or minding her children while she shops alone. Finding people who may need a little extra and sharing it. Introducing a shut in to their own creativity.  Putting together little baskets for those single moms struggling through the season, the elderly and those who would never ask for help.
People seem more willing to give if you initiate the action. Met with disdain as she shopped for coupon items, the moment Cupcake  mentioned the items were being donated to a woman's shelter the cashiers  demeanor would abruptly change as they too offered up help!  Giving is contagious and once people hear what you're doing they want to join in, even customers waiting in line behind her seemed less impatient! With social media it's been easier to spot people in our midst that could use a hand up, so that's what we do now!
?
When life is tough, holidays can be rough. I say treat yourself like your own best friend.
Spoil yourself a bit, do something different that you have always wanted to try!
Create new layers!!
 
What will you change up this holiday season so you can cope or help someone else cope?

As a Canadian we Celebrate Thanksgiving in October so I would like to take this time to say Happy Thanksgiving to my beautiful American friends, I hope you celebrate with love!

30 comments:

  1. Is this the first floral painted piano in Blogland? It looks terrific and I can imagine it must have been difficult to do, really well done.
    I'll have to think about your question, but although the media imply that everyone is having a wonderful time with their family, this is often far from the case even for those with families.
    Thanks for another thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That piano is certainly a burst of Joy,something we all need whether we are alone or amidst loved ones. Wonderful post and even more wonderful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piano came out fantastic. I love it. It is joyful and happy and someone will be lucky to have it! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing piano! Happy weekend Giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piano, and a wonderful title! Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs, Vaerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:06 am

    This is so sweet and beautiful!

    I know the feeling, I'm a master with bulky layers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great history with the piano, Giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful inspiring post today Giggles, and that floral piano would cheer up any room ;D
    Wonderful thoughtful memories too
    Enjoy and have fun this weekend,
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi its great to be back visiting you again.......wowee you have done a fab job on the piano.......wonderful and for such a great cause, am sure you will be asked for orders on this one, so hope your hubby can acquire some more. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see the love and labour you have put into this piano.Such a nice work of art...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love the piano AND the amazing post that accompanies it. "Replant the spirit and fill us up." An incredible message here, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your miniature painted piano and the great cause it's intended for. I also enjoyed reading your metaphor about creating new "layers" to deal with the holidays. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely beautiful little piano... and such wise words, can't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your piano really is one of a kind and I LOVE it!! I too searched for pattern as a child. I remember pattern better than facts or faces.......I love the way you liken our lives journey to making layers. How true . If things need to change slap in another coat of gesso and away you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. the piano is full of joy! and thank you for the message!
    happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. your piano looks so beautiful! Love how you chose to help others, a great way to lift yourself out of your own problems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful project Beardo found for you! I play folk harp, & have studied 'Music for Healing & Transition,' music is such wonderful 'therapy' for all of us!

    & loved your description of working with your daughter to re-invent holidays, partly through focusing on the needs of others! Brilliant!

    Blessings on PPF!
    http://dia-creationstation.blogspot.com/2014/11/featured-artist-musings.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. The little piano is fantastic! Whoever wins the bid will be a lucky person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet paint job!

    http://missdaniellerenee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely soulful words and your piano is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg .... love love LOVE it! This is so full of life and happy vibes and enthousiasm and playfulness .... This is going to make one kid (or more) very happy. You did an excellent job, and I love reading your stories about how to bring happiness to people who are having a hard time during the holidays. Often it just takes one person to start something, and so many people will join in....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really loved all the thought and the layers that have gone into this lovely, happy piano! Great job, Giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really loved all the thought and the layers that have gone into this lovely, happy piano! Great job, Giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's been a while since I last visited your blog.Lovely post. The piano is fabulous. We don't have Thanksgiving Day here.Our holidays are so different. For the very first time I don't know how to answer your question but I do feel when you stop thinking so much about yourself and dedicate some time helping the other, life changes for better. It is when we truly get to know the word humanize.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful! You always write such beautiful and thoughtful posts... Your piece is so bright and joyous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh wow that shelf piano rocks, I love it, whoever bids on that is lucky. Thanks for telling of how you coped with holidays, I feel I got to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You just keep getting better and better. Love what you choose to do with the piano. So bright, and colorful. I love it!!

    It's funny, but I used to study patterns when I was a kid, too. I think I still do, I just don't notice I'm doing it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This piano is amazing!! SO bold and lively with color and energy! This is bound to be a showpiece wherever it lands!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Wonderful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You brought the piano into the future beautifully. My daughters had one of these. You have a fantastic creative eye. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

I respect your opinions!!! All Comments are genuinely appreciated!