Thirteen things I practiced while parenting my daughter
1) Never spanked her
2) Spent quality intimate time with her
3) Spoke kindly, laughed tons and made her giggle,
4) Picked my battles wisely, correcting bad behavior rather than disciplining.
5)Expected good behavior setting boundaries, and giving second chances
6) Followed through on my word,
7) Never made promises I couldn’t keep
8) Listened to her feelings, making changes if need be
9) Complimented and encouraged her, holding back any negative opinions
10) Taught her to have fun without drugs or alcohol by
Playing games ,cards, going to festivals, swimming, skating
Camping , concerts, acting silly, celebration life, dressing in fun outfits, being proud, Enjoying life without worrying what others may think
11) Having a special weekly family date night , either watching television, going to a movie, dinner, A special event, renting a movie, playing cards at the beach by candle light. Cuddling, laughing, eating junk food
12) Tried not to embarrass her, although my own antics on occasion did
13) Most important, I was Completely honest with her except, at Christmas, Easter, and about the tooth fairy!
My ultimate goal was to raise a healthy, happy well adjusted child, correcting bad behavior along the way. For the most part it worked, although nothing in life is ever perfect, she is independent, strong, compassionate, loving person able to function in society.