Quote of The Day

Thursday, December 18, 2014

No place like Home for the Holidays Paint Party Friday


 

Revamped advent Calendar in the style of a box. Still needs some finishing touches!
As I thumbed through my address book  I realized how different this era is than when I was raised.  So few people  stay in one place for a lifetime. There's something to be said for living in the same house most of your childhood, getting married then returning home during the holidays.  Sauntering through the old rooms, eying familiar items from  childhood, opening the fridge to the same condiments and traditional Christmas foods from holidays past! It seems people made more sacrifices to stay put  during my parents era than they do  today! 
When you open the doors there are 24 little drawers to pull out. The original is too ugly to show!

With a  fifty percent divorce rate and a few dips in the economy things have gone awry. There is just not the same stability that past generations enjoyed with  their families, where grandpa and grandma lived in the same house until they died and all the  aunts and uncles did the same! Back then  home was the same place for decades! 


People seem to want bigger and better, or they split and can't afford the family home. Only a hand full of the people I know have lived in their homes ten years or longer! The majority of my  old neighbors living in elite homes  are all now divorced and moved on. It seems the ones who struggled to hang on to their modest homes during tough  times, ones who have renovated from the sweat of their brow, or raised several children, are still in their homes twenty odd years later!

Save a few addresses, sadly my address book is now defunct. Some people are only in our lives for a season, I guess  it's the ones that count  that stay a lifetime.  Even though things get  old and overlooked, renovations are put on hold, there is something so comforting about being in the same familiar place for years! 

Beardos parents have been in their three bedroom basement  home over fourty years. They  raised ten children and even though certain rooms have been renovated there is one  room  that still has the same curtains from the seventies. Curtains my mom once owned too! All the children come home for Christmas with their families.There is something so loving and comfortable about being there! It's a feeling that can't be bottled into words!
Digital Color edit

When I was young I wanted things to look perfect, surround myself in beauty, to stay current. When I was married the  longest we stayed in a home was nine years. There was always a reason to move.  Having been in my home sixteen years now I realize for me there is truer value in  permanence and stability. I am a homebody, some people have more of a gypsy spirit and need change often, others are economically forced to move whether they want to or not!

Life is ever changing, with technology, morals, and attitudes. Still  there is something to be said for going home and knowing things might be a little tattered here and there, but it's filled with love,  good memories and comfort that fill your heart with joy like no other!
Do you love your home as much as I do mine?
 Didn't get cards out in time this year. Inside its says Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!
Click on the photo for a better affect!
Wishing all my blog friends a  Holiday filled with Love, Peace
and snippets of Joy where possible!


To those suffering loss, or illness, be kind to yourself and remember 
the season is short and a New Year is around the bend.
In that, there is always HOPE!
May you ALL be blessed with good things!

36 comments:

Christine said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Giggles! I do love my home. Lovely colourful art as usual!

Ayala Art said...

I often have wondered the same thing... I grew up with my grandparents always in the same place, but my family always moved. This is a very touching post. Have a wonderful Christmas ♥

Valerie-Jael said...

Great post and artwork. Have a wonderful Christmas, take care of yourself! Hugs, Valerie

Paper rainbow said...

A trip down memory lane, Christmas does bring back all those childhood memories doesn't it. You are so lucky to have your family so close, mine seem to be spread all over the place! Much love to you and warm wishes for the festive period. xxxx

PaintingWrite said...

I always love your posts-they're so much more than art! First that's a great Advent calendar -in your signature bright colours!
I get what you mean about people moving around much more. My parents have lived in the same town all their lives and while we did move house when we were children once my parents were able to move to a karger home, they've now lived in the same house since 1985. Meanwhile I've obviuosly got more of a free travelling spirit as I've lived in various countries around the world and various cities in the uk and Ireland. The longest i stayed in one place was the house i bought with my husband in n.ireland and that was only because of the recession and not being able to sell it any sooner! Now i think we have found our settling down place because we both love it here. Even though i like to move around i do love that i can go 'home' to visit my parents and visit all my childhood/teenage haunts and catch up with old friends who also moved away but come back to visit. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and i plan to be an altogether better paint party visitor next year!

Sirkka said...

Giggles, you have so many wise thoughts and beautiful paintings. Merry, peaceful Christmas time and Happy new year to you and your family!

kat said...

I love that snowman and funky birds, such style and fun! Your words are always lovely, our home is really too small for our family of 5 but we are very happy and love it all the same! Happy holidays, there's no place like home for Christmas!

Netty said...

Just popped by to wish you a very happy Christmas and a joyful new year. Love the new works, home is where the heart is. Hugs Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Marianne said...

What a fantastic post - it really made me think :)
Love the snowman and his little friends...

sheila 77 said...

I suppose it depends what home you start out with whether you stay there for a long time or not, or if you travel, or if your house is knocked down (twice!). Members of my family were fairly peripatetic for various different reasons until they settled down for the duration.
I agree with you that "East West, Home's best" but maybe that's just good luck too.
I love your Rain Deer with his lovely striped scarf, hope he gets out for another Christmas.
Thanks for another thought-provoking and thoughtful post.

Faye said...

I enjoyed your post, sherrie. It may be the only one I get to this week. I also am a homebody. I have lived in this house for 22 years and in the one before this for 21 years. Merry Christmas!

Geckostone said...

Wow, what a beautiful post. I have a best friend who has lived in the same house her whole life. We are both in our 50s now and we became friends in Kindergarten! She never married and took care of both of her parents until they died.It is really fun to visit her because there are so many memories in her house for both of us when we were kids. As for me, I'm the gypsy type and I am in love with our new home in the red rock canyons of Southern Utah because I love exploring and new adventure. But I always love coming home to my brother's house and my best friend Cindy's for that stable home feeling that you so beautifully expressed! Thanks for the post! happy Holidays and PPF!!! Deb

Linda Kunsman said...

What an uplifting post dear Sherrie! LOVE your advent calendar with all those vibrant trees. Your trio of winter friends is just a delight, and I love the beautiful, and fun sentiments on your cards. I have kept old address books and on occasion look at all the moves and changes others have made. We only intended living in our home 5 yrs or so and here we are over 30 years later-but it truly is our home and we love the comfort it holds inside for us. Wishing you and yours a happy and blessed holiday season!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Looks fantastic! Love the black background. :)

Marji said...

Have a Merry Christmas! Your advent calendar is beautiful. this is a special time of year for us all to reflect on our blessings.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv them all, Merry Christmas

Much love...

Tammy N said...

Home is a wonderful place to be. Your colorful art will add a lot of cheer to the holidays! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

love the reindeer

Carol said...

Very thoughtful post!!My parents life in the Big house they bought in 1958 . It's small by today's standards . We all still trek back there every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Can't imagine not doing it. My husband says we'll probably retire there. Don't know how I feel about that.
Love your art!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

My name is Erika. said...

I do love my home very much except there are a few things on my dream list which I'd like to have in my home yet. Nothing wrong with a little dreaming. Love your holiday painting-you've been quite the artistic elf.Happy holidays.

Abigail Davidson said...

Oh they're all so cute! Wishing you a relaxing weekend and a lovely holiday!

minnemie said...

Love it - you are always so thoughtful in your pondering... yes, i love our home, small as it is with 6 boys making the walls shake. People often ask why we don't move into a bigger place....we can't find any reason to:-) It is so heartwarming to hear a little boy say:"I hope we never move. And if you stay here for ever and ever I will know where to come get you to take you out for coffee when you're old.":-) I hope we never move too!

Anonymous said...

Once again, thanks for your texts, I enjoy them as much as your joyous art. merry Xmas!

Ritu Dua said...

Bright...beautiful...uplifting...absolutely awesome!!http://beneathmyheartart.blogspot.ae/2014/12/year-of-me.html

Özge Başağaç said...

cutest Christmas project ever :) I really enjoyed seeing this. Merry Christmas...

Unknown said...

Great post. It brought to me lots of memories of my parents house and christmas spirit. there is something about christmas what brings people together and fill our hearts with love.
A very Merry Christmas to you! and thank you for your post!

Studio Kaufmann said...

I am one of those people who moves every few years so I am not all that attached to my current home yet, although it is adorable and has a stream in the back yard. Happy PPF!!

SLScheibe said...

A wonderful post, again! I love my home. It's very homey :)

Hope you have a super Christmas :)

denthe said...

love that cute little box! And your christmascard is adorable. I long to have my own home again and stay there! We are now living in my sister's house, but it's not the same as having your own place. Hopefully next year it'll happen, and I plan on staying there a very long time .... :-) Wishing you wonderful and warm holidays, dear Sherrie, together with your beloved daughter and Beardo ♥

Beth Niquette said...

What a thoughtful post--and such delightful artwork. Thank you for your prayers. It has been a difficult two days. Some things have been hitting home--yet, I am trusting the God who loves me, and He, sharing my tears, walks this path with me. And He sends such folks as you, to cheer my heart. ((hugs))

TruffleArt said...

Sherrie - what a wonderful post, sharing your beautiful art and thoughts. I guess I'm the gypsy you speak of - I have moved 42 times in my 60 years and lived in the USA, Mexico, Colombia, England, and Germany. I definitely have wanderlust. But we've just completed the building of our retirement home and will be there the rest of our days and I must admit, I'm looking forward to this last move. Wishing you a Happy Holiday - just visiting from PPF (Truffle Art).

Lisabella Russo said...

What wonderful and festive art! Happy holidays to you and your family!

sharon said...

Love your post, you are right the older generation did stay in one place, my grandparents did, gave a sense of stability when the family was in turmoil. I am a homebody these days, I laugh at myself when I get home after a few hours out and about sighing with relief! Have a happy Christmas and New Year.

JKW said...

Love those guys (flower, snowman and bird). Great characters for a picture book. Merry Christmas, Blessings, Janet PPF

Karla B said...

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Gloria j Zucaro said...

I love your Christmas Advent box, so delightful, so you! You made me kind of teary for a moment, I guess as we age we get more sentimental. being raised in a military I have the gypsy soul and since my divorce have moved 4 times in 17 years. It is weird that all of a sudden I get this feeling that I have to leave. Have a happy and healthy New Year with your wonderful family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...