Quote of The Day

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Underestimated

Are we underestimating the youth of today? I fear another generational divide much like baby boomers had with their parents! Generation "Why" is not quite as excepting of hearing the tales of old that can't be applied to the new! Times are so fast that it's difficult for older generations to keeps up! Many businesses are even behind the eight ball!!
  
Needing an unconventional sized fridge I probably had a gazillion 
computer windows open on a quest to a locate a suitable one. The
interior fridge  being a miniature thumbnail unable to enlarge 
added to my frustration. So many outdated websites fed my
irritation!

Many of these digital cards have been done over the weeks as filler for the creative lull I'm having!
Reviews are scary too! Most items seem to have a short lifespan and warranty...unlike in my day! Many of the companies don't stand behind their products with any kind of ethic! It's a throw away world we live in!

 When you're in the bite your choices are very minimal! Everyone I know has a story about a large appliance bought in the last decade that was inferior. The ethical world of my knowing has diminished, one where you worked hard, accumulated items, and got ahead! It's different. The kids know it too! Probably why they love vintage items so much...yuck.   but I digress! 


I remember questioning my parents who often said absolutely ridiculous things they were fed through the media. It usually resulted in conflict, because it was so stupid. They didn't embrace changes well. It was a generation that worried too much what others thought and rarely respected what youth said or did.  Where as my generation seemed to have a better understanding of their children's physical and emotional needs! Communication and support flowed, sometimes to a fault. Then came the internet..... we were all fine for the first decade until things started to spin out of our ken! Now there is a bigger divide. Those who understand what is happening, those who don't, and the ostriches that ignore it! 
The generation gap is again widening! We can't seem to educate ourselves fast enough on the ever changing technology that is the root of this generation! Instead we criticize it! There are already  games that teach very young children how to code computers!! We are at the pioneer stage of a new way of living. There is a momentous future of epic new opportunities. I'm not sure we are readily embracing it the way we should.
There are always trials an tribulations on the ground floor of any  new ideas. It's takes time to adjust and tweak it. Part of the game will be finding solutions for new problems evolving in  this new dynamic we live in! 

Youth of today may be somewhat different than we were, but it doesn't mean I'm not proud of them. I hope they take what worked for us and carry it forward,  disregarding our many mistakes. I hope we can continue to support there innovative new ideas even though we may not quite understand it all! 
We just had an election, the youth vote was underestimated just as our new leader was!  It went viral as they encouraged each other to do their civic duty! Now we have change and thankfully a younger more gracious, P.M! We can`t expect to vehemently ignore the youth of today and their new ideas, thankfully they'll have no part of it!!

Do you buck change with judgement and criticism, or do you embrace it?

31 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post! I think new products today are often planned to last just a bit longer than the guarantee! Hope your new PM will bring the changes you hope for in Canada, Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Marji said...

Change is good in my eyes. Even if it has its bumps, twists and turns. Change keeps things fresh and moving forward, so I totally embrace it even if in the moment its hard to do that. Lovely post and as always really fun artwork each week for us to enjoy. m.x

sirkkis said...

Relaxing post, fun and well painted art pieces.
Happy PPF ♥

Nadya said...

I can relate to your Fridge quest - awhile ago (Sept?) I woke up to a fridge that was defrosting on its own, so took the freezer contents over to my daughter's ... asked a friend to remind me what she'd done with hers - & realized I had NEVER cleaned the airflow/coils bit in back - lots & lots of fuzz built up ... cleaned that off (don't have a vacuum, so just did it with a brush) ta da!! My fridge is running QUIETLY now, & working just fine! Whew!! (& every 6 months is the 'suggestion' for cleaning those coils!

But I did have to get a 'new' washer - bi-passed the really new ones (& heard a LOT about the unfortunate state of affairs with those from AJ who has the repair shop in town) ... got an older top loader that works just fine (& turned my broken front loader over to him, ... he says those are becoming increasingly hard to trouble-shoot & repair - 'they work great till they DON'T work - then forget it!!')
lovely art ... & happy PPF!

Unknown said...

Absolutely adore your work. Very meaningful - love the colours. Really enjoyed your post. From a fellow Canadian (who is a happy camper re the election), living in Mexico. Hugs, Donna

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I think generational differences and conflict have increased due to social media. Everything is out there instantaneously, so issues are intensified, making them harder to deal with. However, there is an acceptance of others in this newer generations that can be refreshing too.

DVArtist said...

Lovely art to go with your text. Always a joy to read. I agree that technology is moving faster than some of us can keep up with. This will widen the gaps with the youth. I see two sides of good and bad with all of this but it is the mainstream now and won't be stopped. One either embraces the change or is truly left behind.
Have a happy weekend
Nicole/Beadwright

Linda Kunsman said...

wonderful art work!! I love how you celebrate each post with meaningful words and art. I will agree with you about appliances not lasting near as long as they used to but that's the way it is. Some change is harder to accept than others but it's still wise to accept it rather than fight it in my opinion. Happy PPF and have a great weekend!

Gillena Cox said...

love them all wise words and fun drawings; Happy PPF

much love...

Christine said...

Love your funky art pieces! Change is scary but I just go with it, what else can I do? Progress is another tough word sometimes.

Helen Campbell said...

Lovely artwork. Relax is just what we need in our busy world.
We do seem to live in a throw away world. It takes each of us quietly working to understand and help our fellow humans that will make a difference.

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful work and I really enjoyed your post Carol!
oxo
Susi

Susan said...

Delightful post and love the artwork! Happy PPF

Faye said...

Sherrie, what a marvelous post! I agree with all the captions on your lively art. Sometimes the technology of today is difficult for us older folks. I try to keep up, but things do change at such a rapid pace. I do Facebook but not Twitter, Instagram or other things. I have friends who do not own a computer and refuse to try to jump into the internet stream.

denthe said...

I am so in love with this new style of yours. Especially love that yoga-lady, and the last one with "winner". Fun, whimsical, colourful, they make me smile. Happy to hear that Canada has voted for change. Usually I embrace change, although with technology there's a bit too much change in my opinion. I'm hardly used to one thing and the next one comes along. I don't keep up and I don't want to keep up, it's just too much. And I think it's sad that we live in such a throwaway world ... I have trouble with change without any consideration of what was good before...

Tracey FK said...

great post, and congrats on the new Prime Minister... he has been all over the news here this week with the landslide win and his political pedigree etc. We also had a change of PM recently and the new one is much more in tune with younger people and a lot more open in his views and willingness to listen. It has spurred a real feeling of optimism and excitement, after a long time of apathy.We shouldn't underestimate the role of a good leader should we... amazing what one person can do so simply. As to technology... I love the excitement of it and the way it opens up the whole world...we live in an incredible time...xx

Ariel said...

I think every generation has its own worth and value. Most of the time it's just the clash of egos between the young and the old.

Have a lovely weekend Sherrie
Hugs
SusaN

Paper rainbow said...

I remember days when domestic appliances were fixed. It's not that many if them were more reliable it's just that a repair man came round to fix things when they went wrong. Now technology seems to move so fast repairing a faulty tv seems pointless. i saw with interest this week that it was back to the future future day. It was amazing to realuse what 1980s interpretation of 2015 would be like. It's almost impossible for me to forsee what thirty years ahead will be like!

Studio Kaufmann said...

Either the world has become tragically wasteful and throwaway or we are all a bunch of old fogies!!
It is so sad that every youngster needs the 'latest' Iphone and people go on and on about how cellphones have improved our lives. How have they? So someone can get hold of you when you don't want to answer the phone, that's all. I was a holdout for the longest time but now you are really considered a nutter if you don't have a cell phone so I caved.

It is also sad that most people don't know how much making cell phones pollutes the environment by using rare metals to make them and not recyling them http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/24/rare-earth-metals-and-recycling-what-cell-phone-makers-have-to-learn-from-ev-companies/

Happy PPF!!

Studio Kaufmann said...

Good god woman I forgot to mention
So jealous of your new prime minister
You have one tasty piece of Canadian cheesecake on your hands!!

Jo said...

I think you're right that we do live in a throw away world. Not only ideas and things but people as well. Love seeing your work on IG but I love to see the way you tie it all together here. Hugs, my friend.

Carol Rigby said...

I agree things aren't made like they used to be. Great artwork and a great post.

kat said...

Oh such a lot of great art but my favourite is the "keep the peace one", I really love that and believe that quote to be so true!
As for change, I do have a hard time with that sometimes but I will bend and go with it and don't fight it when it comes my way.
Such a fast paced world today with so much changing, lots of great things developing and moving forward but still I also appreciate a lot of the old ways and things left behind too.

Jeannette said...

wonderful post today and iam enjoing your blog.


oxo jenny

Beth Niquette said...

It is hard to believe youth is now gone, and my children are adults. I've found, though there is a divide now--I often find young people are open to a smile and love a goofy old lady. :D

Your artwork is lovely and thought provoking. I LOVE them all!

Lisabella Russo said...

It is an interesting world these days! I love your Relax painting, so much to take to heart in your posts!

NatureFootstep said...

lol. the second one reminded me of why I stopped doing yoga :)

Thanks for a relaxing post :)

sheila 77 said...

Once again your post here made me think about your theme.

We have had different experiences with old and new things, for example we had a very old cooker that we had repaired every now and then and we loved it, but eventually it gave up completely and we had to buy a new one - and have been bowled over as to how good it is, we love it now - it bakes so much better and has better controls.
Another thing - if your old machine is not working, tell it you are going to buy a new one and that it has to go - I swear this worked with an old sewing machine that had been playing up for years, after my "threat" it worked perfectly for many more years. Also, a relative had an old car which was starting to have problems, so she ordered a new car to be delivered in a few months - yes, you guessed it - the old car worked perfectly until the new car was due to be collected.

Your illustrations are amazing, love your "creative lull", haha.
The lady bending with her patchwork hat and sad face (cheer up, Mrs. Lady!), the wonderful man admiring the beauty around him with the flowers, it's all so colourful and vibrant.

And if we don't like some changes, let's just ignore them!

Thanks for another (provocative?) post.

JKW said...

Love the post and the pics. I wouldn't change playing outside in the neighborhood (kids) until the street lights came on for all the techonolgy (including TV) in the world. I am so glad I had that fortifying Friend time. My head is not in a 'smart' phone b/c I'm too Smart to have one. Blessings, Janet PPF

Kim Dellow said...

Fabulous work and share as always. Thank you for joining up to Show Your Face and sorry it has taken me so long to comment, I'm just catching up now! Kx

Suz said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these new arty pictures you are doing with words! You should write a book with them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...