Quote of The Day

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Making Room for good things!!



I've had this Halloween boot for over 20 years now and I still love it!
A few weeks ago I was inspired by Katjas  post as she fought purging some of her outdated art supplies. It's funny how we change our styles as we evolve. Several months ago we did a big blitz on my art supplies. They tended to surround me in boxes, instead of being neatly put away. Many I never touched. Although I got rid of loads of stuff....
 I feel the urge to do this once again!! 
We live in a Colourful house! Beardo before thanksgiving dinner!!
I started using up little bottles of paint I had squirreled away in a  plastic drawer originally stored under the stairs, but is now in my bedroom closet!! Years old, many are clumped up and thick....but I thought I would incorporate them into some of my latest work and I am very pleased with how it has turned out!!  It's a bit of a newer style for me but I love the little isolated patterns of swirled paint married on the canvas!! 
A very old hanging I gessoed over and painted!!
For months now almost everything in site has been getting a repaint of some sort! Many furniture pieces have been painted white! I was ready to release some of the whimsy in my home!! I have outgrown some of the colour combinations. Painting it out white or a plain colour has been a nice relief. I have always said a change is as good as a rest!! 
Those little hearts up the stairs are our homes code of conduct!
  Of course there will always been loads of colour in my home, proof are the gypsy pink living room walls, the teal throughout the upstairs!! Still there are punches of colour everywhere because I just can't live without it!! Neither can my family who loves colour...except Cupcake for some reason prefers blank walls in her bedroom. Which is so strange to me!! 
This Llama is Cupcakes spirit animal that they stopped the car for, so she could have a chat with him!!
Growing up she started with red, white and blue in her room with an ikea rainbow comforters
I made. Then she had a pink room with a teddy bear boarder ceiling height. Her third room was  electric blue with purple and blue furniture. For the last ten years as a couple they've  had a black room, which  they love!! Now black just happens to be the trend. 
I have always been years ahead on trend colours!! The teal upstairs is the first time I have kept a colour longer than ten years!!  I am rambling... my orginal thought was  once you 
release all the old things in your life it makes room for new things that are needed! 
These pricey heart shoes were left  in the store. Beardo and I insisted Cupcake get them. Three days later they came home with her!!

If you carry around old stuff that isn't being used or valued it just takes up energy and takes away from letting newer better things into your life!! Time and time again we have given so much away and not a week or two later new good things come into our lives so unexpectedly in the strangest ways!! Whether a friend drops by and gives us a bread maker, or we win a contest, or a discontinued perfume magically becomes available at a discount store!! Time and time again new and wonderful things come into our life once we release our old things into the universe!! On rare occasion we sell things, but monthly we give a few bags to charity! The same goes for giving gifts, making food for others, giving away baking... Mother always said what you give away comes back ten fold....how right she was!!
Flashback Friday to when the kids were still teens!

Our intention has always been to give from the heart, we never expect the things we  receive it just happens!! Each and every time we are so grateful!

Do you get rid of things regularly? Have you noticed better things come into your life when you do? Are you a natural giver?


27 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your home looks lovely with all the bright colours. Clearing out is sometimes very necessary. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

I should declutter more, although it could be worse. I love to give. Nice post.

Tracy said...

Decluttering is so liberating! I often purge my art materials. You buy things, try them, and find they're not for you, so forward they go. A lot of my stuff ends up with Sunday school or the local nursing home. I like to think that someone else might discover a new favourite. Love those bright colours, too.

John R said...

Excellent post and I love all those bright colours in your home. I'm a bit of a hoarder too when it comes to art materials. I recently sorted all my stuff out and was amazed how much I had gathered. I've told myself 'no more' until I use what I have. Well, we'll just have to see how that one pans out.

Linda Kunsman said...

Your bright walls make me so happy! All well said about the changing and cleaning out and giving. It really does come back in so many more ways and unexpected too. I'm working on cleaning out/purging but it's a slow process for me.
Yes, Cupcake had to have those shoes-they are made for her:) Happy PPF!

Gillena Cox said...

luv the Halloween boot. Happy PPF

MUCH LOVE...

Faye said...

Sherrie, the wall hanging is absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful idea to redo it. And yes, I am still trying to get rid of stuff I know my kids will not want to deal with later on.

A Colorful World said...

Ooh, fuscia walls! What fun! Love the wall hanging. Sweet photo of your kids.

sirkkis said...

Colourful and thoughtful post. I give now and then something to recycling.
Happy PPF and upcoming week ❣

SLScheibe said...

I love your bright home colours! How fun! I always love seeing around artists' homes. They're often cheerful and bright. I get rid of things regularly. I am a clutter loather. If a pile starts forming in my house, it gets cleared out really quickly. Except laundry. That piles up often.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely post and art work ~ and have been doing the same ~ 'cleaning out' ~ and giving away ~ Fun!

A ShutterBug Explores ~ aka ~ (A Creative Harbor)

denthe said...

Love the colourful hanging and the pink walls! A black room ...!? I just cannot imagine ever having a black room. You're right about stuff you don't need taking up energy. Since we've been moving house so often in the last few years, we got rid of a lot of stuff, and I'm happy about that. I still need to teach my daughter that though. She just keeps hanging on to stuff she's outgrown, and walking into her overfull room drains my energy ...

SandeeNC said...

I have been "dostadning" and it refers to the act of slowly and steadily decluttering as the years go by, ideally beginning in your fifties (or at any point in life) and going until the day you kick the bucket. The ultimate purpose of death cleaning is to minimize the amount of stuff, especially meaningless clutter, that you leave behind for others to deal with.

Irene Rafael said...

What a fun, inspiring environment you live in. I have been purging my art supplies but having a bit of a time of it. I put things in the to go box only to rethink it. You have inspired me. I like what you said about giving and receiving. Thanks so much!
~~ Irene

DVArtist said...

I would love to live in all that color. You are so talented. I de-clutter once a month. Clutter actually makes me claustrophobic. LOL

NatureFootstep said...

from what I can see you have a beautiful home, and a happy one. I love that. Loved the sunflowers in the first shot. You can paint a face in one of them :) A happy face.

Thanks for the nice comment on my entry. I was so happy for it.

Carol Rigby said...

It doesn't surprise me that you home is so colourful. Just like your blog posts. Happy PPF!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous pink walls...magical and powerful. I love your colorful home and life!
I feel the same, things simply take up space/energy/and block new vibrations and flow coming through..it is always healthy and fun getting rid of stuff. I do it often. I keep my favorites and let the rest go or give away. Love that first picture too, very beautiful.
have a sweet day!
Victoria

Courtney said...

I love the idea of releasing the old to make room for the new! We've been on a decluttering mission for the last couple years....just a little bit at a time. I like the idea of not having a ton of "stuff." :)

Gloria j Zucaro said...

I love your brilliantly colored home. Yes, I do get rid of things frequently-not as often as you do, but whenever I do, I feel lighter.
I recently had the basement painted to cover up all the cracks in the walls and floor. I decided to clear out things since I had to move them anyway. I gave the items to a local charity that helps the disabled and homeless with their sales. I love your banner! beautiful!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Cleansing is always good. My last one was a couple of months ago when I went through my wardrobe. Art supplies are stashed away ever since I was pregnant with my kid and I had to make room for his stuff. I only kept watercolors and some posca pens nearby for my ATCs.

sheila 77 said...

Isn't it great to do decluttering and you've reminded me about some art materials I will no longer use but which sit there looking at me,
although I do regret giving away some things and wish I still had them, notably a rather nice vase.
I love your bright pink walls, but funny about Cupcake and her bare bedroom walls, I'm the same - it is so refreshing to wake up to blank walls. High fives, Cupcake.
Have a great happy week, Giggles, Cupcake and Beardo, all of you.

Lisabella Russo said...

I enjoyed seeing some of the art you have hanging in your home! I do have quite a bit I should let go of. I love giving gifts when I can...

Deepa Gopal said...

There's so much happening here!! :D Love that Halloween boot and wall hanging!
I do give out things when it comes to dresses and stuff but my art space which keeps shifting depending on my mood and work (esp two spaces) these are almost always messy and cluttered!! Probably it's because I don't have a dedicated space in my home yet. I can't part with my books too. But otherwise I keep it organized and clean!! :)

Nordljus said...

Wonderful post! I'm glad you got inspired :) It's an ongoing thing, isn't it. But I think it's good that way. The more you throw out and make space, the easier it gets. Your wall hanging is gorgeous, all those colours in your home sound lovely, though I can't really imagine having a black room myself. Those shoes are great!

froebelsternchen said...

I always do declttering - best for me - I am very happy to get rif of things I do not need any more.
YOur houese is unique ! Lovely photos!

Katie Jeanne said...

I like to purge frequently. Funny you mentioned a bread machine. I set mine out on the curb about a year ago, and was shocked to find out it was taken immediately. My street doesn't get much traffic..like a handful of cars a day, if that.

I didn't see who took it, but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside..especially knowing how it had been sitting on my counter for years, unused. (Darn Celiac Disease!!) The thought of it providing food for someone's family now makes me incredibly happy. :))))

I do believe good things happen when we're open, and giving, yes!! Definitely!! Law of attraction, baby!! I firmly believe in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...