Quote of The Day

Friday, September 23, 2011

Paint Party #28 Blue Table

My Brave Blue Table

It's paint Party Friday #28 make sure to check out all the other artists and join yourself if you wish!!   I'm sharing my new blue table.
You can see the before photo without a table cloth at the bottom.  
I could only find one  ugly photo  taken during our floor renos. 
Before revamp


Much like I love purple, my  mom loved turquoise.  Except for her wedding ring, the only two pieces of Jewelry dad ever bought mom was a turquoise ring, years later a bracelet to match. Her first  kitchen  had red arborite counters, and her second one had turquoise walls. Painted  every few years to mask  the embedded cigarette smoke stains. She had wall to wall turquoise rugs, a turquoise floral couch which she amalgamated with  royal blue. Needless to say there was blue everywhere.  I must confess, unlike most people I never liked blue. Not  only do I look terrible in the color, I just never decorate with it. I think my mom overdosed me... Just as I have done with purple for my daughter!



Lo and behold, my blue eyed daughter came along, much like my mother, loves blue. So when she was a teen, we converted her all pink bedroom, to  azure  blue, paired with purple. I liked it very much! She kept it that way through the teen years. It’s now painted  charcoal which she enjoys  with her hubby.

I’ve  always avoided blue like the plague. Then a couple of years ago my daughter wanted us to paint our  main powder room turquoise. I loved it orange, and was reluctant, but agreed as long as I didn’t have to paint it.  I figured  I  could probably  live with it  thirty five years after leaving moms kitchen.  Once I added a  few of my paintings  with purple and green  to off set the turquoise I began to like it.

So it was a real surprise a few months back when I bought two azure lamps to flank my family room couch. I liked their shape. Surprisingly after all my chairs were painted I decided to paint my kitchen table Blue….. I really like it. I have no idea what possessed me to bring blue into my life! I must have finally made peace with it!!! Blue, oh blue, lately I’m lovin you! Only certain shades though….

 A little side note about the table, when my daughter was fourteen instead of buying secret Santa gifts for her friends, she suggested they help some needy kids.  I drove her around we gathered the money, she bought the kids toys and a little tikes plastic picnic table. We gathered food from different sources and I took it to the single mom with two little girls. The kids were so happy and lit right up, the mom was so  thrilled and grateful. It made what  was to be a dismal Christmas eve for us, really wonderful! I mentioned that I loved her table. She told me she hated it and had a line on another one. She said  I was welcome to have it in the new year. I was also on a very tight budget, the top of the table was severely scratched and there were pen marks everywhere, the legs had chipped white paint. So  I sanded the top, stained the oak and varnished, then I painted the legs purple.  It was beautiful for a good ten years. Plus it was free. Couple of years ago I painted the legs black to match the kitchen. I still love the shape but found it a bit large for the space. I think I'm in love with it again, plus  you can't beat free!!!

27 comments:

Jess said...

What a transformation for that table! I'm renovating some old furniture that we've had since we moved into this house just before my daughter was born. The people who lived here before had left it behind so obviously thought it was old junk! It'll all have a new lease of life very soon. (pic on my blog)
Interesting what you say about colours. I've spent nearly all my life avoiding orange and now I love it!
Jess xx

carol l mckenna said...

Love the blue table especially with your painted chairs! ~thanks, hugs and namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF

Christine said...

the table looks great in blue, it has nice 'bones'.

Joni Nickrent said...

Now that's one perfect popping blue table! Definitely brought to life with color! Fun Stuff! POP ART MINIS

Janet said...

Love the turquoise table! It looks great with your painted chairs.

I'm not a blue person either although I've always liked turquoise. Some blues are okay if they're paired with my favorite - purple! You and I seem to have many of the same likes.

J C said...

I LOVE your blue table and the painted chair!

GlorV1 said...

You are such a fun life loving colorful gal and I like you and your ways. I think your chairs and table look great and very inviting for a meal and they have your soul in them. Terrific job. Have a great weekend.

carlarey said...

What a great table. It's terrific that it's had so many different "color lives".

Netty said...

Terrific post about the life and times of that great table. Loving your wonderful colourful kitchen. Happy PPF, x

Kristin Dudish said...

Wow - I absolutely love that blue table! It looks great with your polka dotted chair too :)

xo
Kristin

Annabelle said...

Giggles, this is very strange. We just spoke to each other the other day and I said I just got a new dining room set but with quite a few issues.I also said that my old table was better built and made of solid maple wood. Imagine my surprise when I saw your table....its my old one , only mine was still sporting the old maple varnish. The chairs are long gone except for one of which my son uses for his computer chair but the fabric seat is entirely worn out by our cat. The other day hubby said it would be nice to refinish the table and buy it four chairs and use it in the kitchen. Well, I need to show hubby your handiwork on our table...lol!!!!

You did an amazing revamp!Looks very lovely in lovin blue!
p.s. Does your table open in the middle to accommodate two extensions? Wow I still can't believe the coincidence ; ) Thanks for sharing!

Carol said...

Love the chairs and that table is just to die for!!! I've decided recently that I really love bright and cheerful furniture :)

Elisa Choi said...

awesome chair and table.. bravo to you. And I am so happy for your good hearts. Truly it's the best Christmas ever:)

Rosie Kaplan said...

Lovely story and I love your bright furniture

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Delightful blog- I just found you through Paint Party Friday- I love your chairs, they are great wish I could find some chairs to feel free to paint like that. Right now I am in the process of renovating an old dresser and desk for my grandsons and they are bright blue. I was hoping to stencil some dragons or dinosaurs on them but will not have the time before they get taken to her. They both belonged to her when see was little an requested them to be redone and brought up to her.
Thanks for sharing
Johnina

Mary C. Nasser said...

Beautiful blue table!
My favorite color! :)

Robin Panzer Art said...

I love what you did with the table and absolutely adore the chairs. How Fun! Happy Paint Party Friday!

Fallingladies said...

so fun and colorful!!!!

Geckostone said...

Wow the table is gorgeous in blue! I love that color, I'm glad you made peace with it,lol! Deb

Hybrid J said...

Loving every bit of your brave blue table ... well done!

Rcahel Hawkins-Crockford said...

I love your blue table and your lovely smiley chairs. I love your sign "What Do You Stand For". Yes, we all have to stand for something or we stand for nothing. I just love your blog and your outlook on life. I hope there are many more out there like you. Keep blogging x

Melisa said...

But this is such a beautiful shade of blue. Look how much life it has breathed into that table! I love the curved legs.

Laurie Linn said...

Love the completed chairs and I love the table. I had to laugh when I read your post - I am exactly the same. I hated blue for years. Found it an uninspiring color - but these days, I am finding that I enjoy it so much! In fact, when I repainted my studio, I chose sky blue. Now when I am in there I feel like I am under clear skies - event when it is gray and rainy out!

Daniele Valois said...

oh my goodness, this is adorable!!!

Karen Isaacson said...

that is a FABULOUS table. perfect for the chairs.

Ayala Art said...

I love it!!

Heather Foust said...

Kover your table and your chairs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...